Monday 14 July 2014

Embarking on my Masters Journey Discovering A/R/Tography



Image from: MacRae, C. (2011). Art as research: Shifting paradigms in documentation practices. [online] Practice.ie. Available at: http://www.practice.ie/interviewarticlepage/26 [Accessed 14 Jul. 2014].

I have thoroughly enjoyed how introducing technology into my pedagogy has enhanced my teaching outputs,  Therefore my initial literature search was based on how Visual Arts education has been informed by blended learning, assessment strategies and flipped classroom theory.  However, my proposal lacked the art practical output that is integral to a Fine Art study.  This led my supervisor John Roome to introduce me to the field of a/r/tography, as a potential theoretical framework for my study.  Reading the articles on a/r/tography encouraged me to consider how my art-making and pedagogy is related and I began using the terminology and texts cited in the articles to search for more information on Jstor, Ebscohost and the Summons. Kind, de Cosson, Irwin and Grauer (2007), Hickmann(2010), Hall (2010), Sinner, Leggo, Irwin, Gouzouasis, and Grauers’ (2006) articles on exploring the dual identities of an artist/researcher/educator intrigued me as I realised both my art-making process and pedagogy was influenced by an interest in experimentation and research.  However these authors tend to focus on the liminal spaces between these identities (Sameshima and Irwin, 2009) as well as documenting how the field evolved (Irwin and De Cosson, 2004).  Gouzouasis,Irwin, Miles,and Gordon (2013) also wrote about how a/r/tography improves teachers pedagogy.   Irwin, Bickel, Triggs, Springgay, Beer, Grauer, Xiong, and Sameshima (2009), used a/r/tography as a methodology to investigate how the analysis of data from the City of Richgate project on intergenerational immigrant families could be displayed visually and narratively (Irwin et al., 2009).  Although I agreed with Irwin (2009),Hickman (2010) and Hall (2010) that my formative experiences as an educator and artist had profoundly shaped my identity and outputs, I realised that my research interest was more than an investigation on the relationship between these dual identities and outputs. Thus I will be researching how I can use a/r/tography as methodology to improve my pedagogy as well as my skills in art-making and research.

Link to a Prezi of my proposed Masters Research

No comments:

Post a Comment